At permit stage give the builder a letter. Stating your expectations for the final sign off of the passive fire or smoke containment systems.
The main points this letter should highlight are as follows.
- Has there been a system specified, and has it been complied with.
- If there is a system specified and not complied with. Is there a letter from the designing engineer authorizing these changes.
- If no system shown, and only the criteria nominated such as (90/90/90). Does the system used comply with these criteria.
- Is there documented evidence, such as photo’s showing that all stages of the system comply. Right down to fixing, types and spacings.
- Is there drawings, showing the position of the areas that have been treated. Walls, ceilings, floors bulkheads, etc.
- Have all penetrations and there treatment been documented.
- Has there been inspection hatches installed to allow for later compliance with. AS1851-2005 (Maintenance of Fire Protection Systems and Equipment).
- Has the person signing off stated qualifications that allow him to do so. Minimum should be (Certificate IV Quality Assure Fire Ratted Lining Systems) BCGBC4047A.
The above would be a minimum requirement the Building Owner should expect to allow him to comply with, AS1851-2005 (Maintenance of Fire Protection Systems and Equipment) section 17 in the future.